Display Enlightenment by NCX
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
NCX
Admin
https://bestmonitors.board-directory.net

Best Reviewed 24-25" Glossy 1080p IPS/PLS Empty Best Reviewed 24-25" Glossy 1080p IPS/PLS

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

Always purchase from retailers with hassle free return and exchange policies. Read retailers return and exchange policies before buying.

My recommendations are based off of testing many similar monitors and reading in-depth reviews. Many monitors not found in this thread likely perform well, but it makes more sense to buy well reviewed monitors, and I like having sources to refer to, even though I do not always agree with them.

Recommendations are PWM or Flicker Free:

I do not recommend monitors which use low LED PWM Dimming frequencies since they [URL="https://flic.kr/p/qSbVjo"]ruin motion clarity[/URL] and cause some people to suffer from health issues like head aches and eyestrain. [URL="http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/pulse_width_modulation.htm#side_effects"]LED PWM Dimming Side Effects[/URL].

These monitors can be considered delay free and all offer similar overdrive performance with minimal ghosting (color streaking & overshoot).  The 25" 1080p IPS monitors use 8 bit panels with slightly better image quality after calibration (the matte Philips 257E7 is better than most out of the box) than some of the smaller monitors.

The almost-glossy/Low Haze coated HP 25er/25es (non-overclock-able 2016 models; they're the same aside from the casing color) 25CW/25XW (2015 models; they're the same aside from the casing color) and HP 24 Envy (fully glossy 75hz with AMD Free-Sync 2017 monitor) are the best glossy options while the Asus VZ249H (set the overdrive or Trace Free setting to 20 to eliminate overshoot ghosting), Dell U2417HA (it has better image quality but slightly more overshoot ghosting than the U2414H, HP, LG and Philips monitors), Dell U2417J, iiyama XUB2492HSU-B1, Philips 245C5QHAB (tested by me/NCX; no review published since I was too lazy), Philips 246E7QDSW and Philips 257E7QDSB are the best matte options.   The LG 24MP68VQ-P supports AMD Free-Sync (40-75hz; requires compatible AMD graphics card) and has great color presets, as well as image quality comparable to the best 24-25" panels.

All of LG's new AH-IPS panels are PWM or Flicker free and usually have good colour presets too.  Some of the AH-IPS panels use frame-less casings which have inner black bezels which ruin the perceived black depth (example).

The Dell P series monitors have a matte black bezel which increases the perceived black depth compared to the frame-less monitors inner black bezel.

<1mm Thin Black Vertical Lines: AOC I481FXH, HP 24 Envy, Viewsonic VP2468 & Possibly More
Spoiler:

HP 25-27VX: These monitors use LED PWM Dimming or Flicker which ruins motion clarity and makes some people suffer from health issues like headaches and/or eyestrain. The VX monitors have less vibrant colors since they have a smaller and less accurate color gamut capable of covering up to 92% of the sRGB color space versus the 25-27CW  XW monitors 97%, and use a pure glossy coating while the 25-27 CW & XW monitors use a treated glossy or almost-glossy coating with some ant-reflective properties. TL ; DR: The VX monitors are inferior compared to the CW and XW monitors; do not buy a VX series HP.

Dell S2415H: Glossy.  PC Monitors Review

HP 24 Envy: Glossy with native 75hz and AMD Free-Sync support.  Review by NCX (In Progress).  

The 24 envy has slightly less accurate preset gamma  (2.3 average) than the 25er/es and 27XW, but higher sRGB color space coverage resulting in slightly more vibrant colors than most 1080p IPS/PLS panels after calibration.  The 24 Envy does not need to have its contrast reduced from 80 to 75 like the 25-27 CW/er/es/XW.  Set the Overdrive (Response Time Setting under Image Control) to Level 2 (Fast).

HP 25er (white back) & 25es (black): Almost-Glossy; 2016 edition of the 25CW & 25XW.  Review by NCX.

HP 25es  (black back): Almost-Glossy; 2016 edition of the 25CW & 25XW and the same as the 25er.  Review by NCX.

It's a slightly improved version of the 25CW and 25XW, but it can't overclock to 75hz properly.  Reduce the contrast from 80 to 75.

HP 25CW: Almost-Glossy.  It's the same as the 25XW aside from the casing color.

HP 25XW: Almost-Glossy.  Review by NCX.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum